Using the Premium Flat File Source Component
The Premium Flat File Source Component is an SSIS data flow pipeline component that can be used to read / retrieve data from a flat file.
The component includes the following two pages to configure how you want to read data.
The General page of the Premium Flat File Source Component allows you to specify the general settings of the component.
- Connection Manager
The Premium Flat File Source Component requires a connection in order to connect to the Flat File. The Connection Manager drop-down will show a list of all connection managers that are available to your current SSIS package.
Note that the Connection Managers offered within this toolkit are the following:
- Local File
- FTPS Connection Manager
- SFTP Connection Manager
It is also important to note that this component also works with:
- OneDrive Connection Manager
- Dropbox Connection Manager
- SharePoint Connection Manager (offered with the SSIS Integration Toolkit for Microsoft SharePoint)
- Source File Path
The Source File Path specifies the location of the file that you are trying to read from.
Specify the Locale of the file.
- Code Page
Specify the Code Page of the file.
- First Row Has Header
Select this option if the first row contains column names.
- Nullify Empty Strings
When this option is checked, it will convert empty string column data into NULL values.
- Text Qualifier
Use the Text Qualifier option to specify the symbol that represents when the field begins and ends. This option is used in cases where the column may contain a character that represents the Column Delimiter.
- Column Delimiter
Specify a delimiter character to indicate the end of a column.
- Refresh Columns Button
Clicking the Refresh Columns button will bring up a prompt for you to confirm the refresh. After clicking "OK", It will remove any existing columns and add any columns it can find in the Source File Path based on the Column Configuration values.
- Reset Columns Button
Clicking the Reset Columns button will bring up a prompt for you to confirm the reset. After clicking "OK", it will remove any existing columns.
The Columns page of the Premium Source Component shows you all available attributes from the object that you specified on the General page.
On the top left of the grid, you can see a checkbox, which can be used to toggle the selection of all available fields. This is a productive way to check or uncheck all available fields.
The Columns Page grid consists of:
- Premium Flat File Field- Column that will be retrieved from Flat File.
- Data Type - The data type of this field.
- Misc - Properties window for the field listed. These values are configurable.
- DataType - The data type can be changed according.
- Length - If the data type specified is a string, the length specified here would be the maximum size. If the data type is not a string, the length will be ignored.
- Name - Specify the Column name.
- Import External Column - option to import the Columns and its properties from a file.
- Export External Column - option to save the Columns and its properties to a JSON file later for reuse.
- +sign - Add field to Flat File.
- - sign - Remove field from Flat File.
- Arrows - Move the fields to a desired location in the file.
NOTE: As a general best practice, you should only select the fields that are needed for the downstream pipeline components.
Using the Local File Connection Manager found in the Premium File Pack components
Within the Control Flow and Data Flow Components found in this toolkit, you will notice a 'Local File' connection manager in the Connection Manager area. Note that the Local File does not have to be configured in order for you to use this. You would simply select the 'Local File' option, and you would be able to access the folder and files within the local machine.