Using the Premium File System Source Component
The Premium File System Source Component is an SSIS data flow pipeline component that can be used to read / retrieve data from a file system.
The component includes the following two pages to configure how you want to read data.
The General page of the Premium File System Source Component allows you to specify the general settings of the component.
- Connection Manager
The Premium File System Source Component requires a connection in order to connect to the File System. The Connection Manager drop-down will show a list of all connection managers that are available to your current SSIS package.
Note that the Connection Managers offered within this toolkit are the following:
- Local File
- FTPS Connection Manager
- SFTP Connection Manager
- Source Item Path
The Source Item Path specifies the location of the file or folder that you are trying to read from.
- Item Selection Mode
The Item Selection Mode settings specifies what sub items (if any) you wish to retrieve. The available modes are:
- Selected Item - Retrieves only the item specified at Source Item Path
- Recursive - Retrieves the item specified at Source Item Path and its sub items recursively.
- Selected Level - Retrieves the item specified at Source Item Path and its sub items.
- Recursive (Files Only) - Selects items the same as the Recursive mode but only returns files.
- Selected Level (Files Only) - Selects items the same as the Selected Level mode but only returns files.
The Columns page of the Premium Source Component shows you all available attributes from the object that you specified on the General page.
On the top left of the grid, you can see a checkbox, which can be used to toggle the selection of all available fields. This is a productive way to check or uncheck all available fields.
The Columns Page grid consists of:
Premium File System Field- Column that will be retrieved from the current item (file or folder). There are only 5 Premium File Fields and they are:
- FileContent - If the current item is a file, this will return the binary content of the file
- FullPath - The path to the current item
- IsDirectory - A boolean specifying if the current item is a folder
- Name - The name of the current item
- PathToParent - The path to the parent of the current item
- Data Type - The data type of this field.
NOTE: As a general best practice, you should only select the fields that are needed for the downstream pipeline components.
Using the Local File Connection Manager found in the Premium File Pack components
Within the Control Flow and Data Flow Components found in this toolkit, you will notice a 'Local File' connection manager in the Connection Manager area. Note that the Local File does not have to be configured in order for you to use this. You would simply select the 'Local File' option, and you would be able to access the folder and files within the local machine.